TJ Samson History
The story of T.J. Samson Community Hospital began in 1926 when the Glasgow Chamber of Commerce was in the thrones of a fund-raising campaign to build an addition to the Maple-Wood Infirmary. Research showed that the Commonwealth Fund, an organization dedicated to the establishment of rural hospitals could possibly help instead build a hospital. The Chamber agreed and on November 6, 1926, the Commonwealth Fund of New York awarded its second endowment to Glasgow on a 2 to 1 fund matching incentive.
The endowment granted a $130,000 honorarium toward the establishment of a community hospital, with the local community contributed the remaining $65,000. A fundraising committee was established and by January 1927, it was decided that any party donating $25,000 or more would be allowed to name the hospital as a memorial (smaller contributions would earn other commemorations, like memorial rooms and plaques). On February 15, 1927, a member of the advisory committee, T. J. Samson, pledged his stock in the Samson Tobacco Company (worth $18,500) plus an additional $6,500 for the privilege of naming the hospital.
Construction on the original facility began the following year, and by October 1928, the Community Hospital of Glasgow was ready for inspection by the Commonwealth Fund. The building easily passed inspection, and on September 3, 1929, the hospital was dedicated and opened to the public. The first patient, J. G. Russell, of Whetstone, Kentucky, was admitted on September 18 of that same year.
Since then, the hospital has undergone several expansions, including its most recent addition—a new wing to house an ultramodern labor and delivery floor, emergency department, cardiology laboratory, and intensive care unit. In May 1997, the hospital was designated as the site for one of Kentucky’s congressionally mandated Family Practice Residency Programs and is now home to the University of Louisville Glasgow/Barren County Family Medicine Residency.
Today, T.J. Samson Community Hospital is a 196-bed, acute-care facility, including sixteen skilled-care beds. And the T.J. Health Pavilion, providing outpatient services and physician offices.